THE MAKARSKA RIVIERA
Located under the rocky slopes of Biokovo Mountain, the town of Makarska lies in a large cove. The local economy is based on vineyards and olive and fig growing, as well as fishing and tourism. The town developed in the shape of an amphitheater along the coast. It consists of the old town center and a newer development with hotels, restaurants and shops. Pine forests border the 1500 meter long beach in Donja Luka and there are numerous sand beaches. The settlement that existed here in antiquity (probably known as Muccurum) was destroyed, according to tradition, in 548 AD, by Totila, king of the Eastern Goths. Later, it became a stronghold of the Slavic tribe, Neretljani, which defeated a Venetian fleet near Makarska in 887.
Today, on the location of the former Benedictine abbey is a Franciscan monastery with cloister, from 1400, renovated in 1540. The monastery has a library, archive and rich collection of paintings from the baroque period. On the main square is the baroque parish church of St. Marko from the 18th century and the baroque fountain from 1775, as well as the Ivanišević Palace. There is also a sculpture of the Franciscan poet, Andrija Kačić-Miočić, for whom the square is named.
Hotels: Meteor (A); Biokovo (B); Dalmacija (B); Park (B); Rivijera (B); Biokovka (B)
Camps: Rivijera (III)
Brela consists of two towns fifteen kilometers north of Makarska. The older of the two, Gornja Brela, is located on the hill above the sea. Donja Brela is located on the coast and is home to long sand beaches and pine forests. Tourism is the basis of the local economy. There is a walking path along the sea from Brela to Makarska.
Hotels: Maestral (A); Soline (A); Marina (B); Berulia (B); Pelegrin (B); Brela (C)
A small town ten kilometers north of Makarska, Baška Voda was founded at the beginning of the 18th century, though the area was probably inhabited in ancient times . Its inhabitants work primarily in tourism and fishing. The surrounding area is heavily wooded and the beaches are pebble.
Hotels: Horizont (A); Slavija (B)
Camps: Baško polje (II)
Three kilometers south of Makarska is the village of Tučepi. There is a walking path along the sea from Makarska to Tučepi. It has a large beach surrounded by pine forest.
Hotels: Alga (B); Jadran (B); Neptun (B); Afrodita Apartments (B)
Marina: Marina Tučepi - 70 moorings on floating docks, reception, parking lot
Podgora is seven kilometers south of Makarska. It is known for its numerous fresh water springs and medicinal salty spring, Klokun.
Hotels: Minerva (A); Aurora (B); Mediteran (B); Podgorka (B); Primordia Apartments (B)
This village, 18 kilometers south of Makarska, lies on a tiny peninsula with a kilometer and a half long sand beach on its southern coast. The harbor, with its long break-water, has good anchorage for boats.
Hotels: Punta (B)
Camps: Eista; Blato
THE DUBROVNIK RIVIERA
Hotels in Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-center: Belvedere (L); Villa Orsula (L); Argentina (A); Villa Dubrovnik (A); Libertas (A); Excelsior (A); Grand Hotel Imperial (A); Grand Hotel Park (A); Bellevue (B); Neptun (B); Sumartin (B); Zagreb
Dubrovnik-Lapad: Dubrovnik Palace (A); Adriatic (B); Lapad (B); Splendid (B); Vis (B)
Slano is a tourist town 42 kilometers north of Dubrovnik in the Koločep Channel. It has pebble beaches, rich vegetation and a pleasant climate. The Republic of Dubrovnik gained Slano in 1399. It became the seat of the princes. A Franciscan church was built in 1420.
Hotels: Admiral (B); Osmine (B)
Located 29 kilometers north of Dubrovnik, Trsteno was named after a reed (trstika) which grows in abundance in the area. In 1399, Trsteno became a part of the Republic of Dubrovnik. Two plane trees in the main square at the center of the village are more than 400 years old. They are unique examples of the species in Europe. In the former summer residence of the Gučetić family, there is a large park which, according to the inscription from 1502, is the oldest planned renaissance park in Croatia. Today, it is an arboretum, home to myriad exotic plants.
The village of Orašac is located under 442 meter high Vračevo Hill and 298 meter high Golo (naked) Hill. North of the village is the former summer residence of the Austrian governor, Fillip Saponar (from 1700). South of Orašac, on the high cliff overlooking the water, sit the ruins of Arapovo Castle, former residence of the Florentine Duke Pietro Soderini, from the period after he left Florence, 1512. A new, large tourist complex was built recently in Ora?ac (2000 beds).
Hotels: “Dubrovnik’s Sun Gardens” Apartments and Resort
Camps: Rudine (I)
The village of Srebreno in on the Bay of Aupa, ten kilometers south of Dubrovnik. An island to the north shelters it from the cold north wind. It has a long sand beach. The present name of the village is derived from the Latin sub Breno, because it lies under the main part of Aupa, known to the Romans as Brenum. Srebreno is mentioned as far back as 1294, when the area was part of Benedictine abbey.
Hotels: Orlando (B); Aupa (B); Studenac Annexes (B)
This town and harbor on the bay of Aupa, eleven kilometers from Dubrovnik, is named for its mills (mlini), once powered by creeks flowing from nearby springs. Near the beach, where the creek spills into the sea, sits the parish church of St. Ilar, from 1449 (destroyed in an earthquake in 1667 and rebuilt in 1687).
Hotels: Astarea (A); “Astarea” Bungalows (B); Mlini (B)
Cavtat is located at the southern end of the bay of Aupa, twenty kilometers south of Dubrovnik. It lies on the Rat peninsula. The climate, rich vegetation and beautiful beaches attract many visitors. Cavtat (from the Latin civitas) was founded by the Illyrians. Later, it was under Greek and Roman rule, respectively, under the name of Epidaurum. In 47 BC, it was besieged by Octavian and became the center of the diocese in 530 AD. It was destroyed by the Avars and Slavs in the 7th century. Some of its inhabitants resettled on the small island of Lave. In 1302, Cavtat became a possesion of the Republic of Dubrovnik
The Palace of the Prince is a renaissance building, from 1558. It houses the Bogišić Library, Archive and Museum, which hold a collection of stone monuments, including two inscriptions by the Roman governor Dolabella, from the first century AD. The church of St. Vlaho and the Franciscan monastery are from 1483. A road climbs from the church, through the pine forest, to the top of a hill with a cemetary. The cemetary is home to the mausoleum of the Račić family (architecture and sculptures by Ivan Meštrović, 1920-22). The Kaboga Palace also goes back to the Republic of Dubrovnik. A staircase leads from the coast to the former atelier and present picture gallery of Vlaho Bukovac.
Hotels: Croatia (L); Albatros (A); Epidaurus (B); Cavtat (B); Supetar (B)
|Introduction | Search properties | Exclusive | Yours questions | Business | Yacht charter | Hotels for sale|
Estate Nekretnine, Split,
Croatia tel:+385 98 748 505 |
Terms and Conditions | Privacy statement | email@example.com